4 oz unsalted butter – softened
2 oz caster sugar
5 oz self-raising flour
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3.
- Softened cubed butter with wooden spoon (beaters are okay).
- Gradually add the sugar whilst beating.
- Gradually add the (sifted) flour, stop beating as soon as everything is combined. Should look like large breadcrumbs.
- Grease baking trays, place walnut sized pieces of the lightly squeezed dough onto the trays – very well spaced 3 to 4” apart.
- Using a wet fork flatten each ball to 3- 4 mm thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn and rotate trays every 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack – they will be very soft when hot/warm.
March 2012 – one of Andrea’s patients made some of these for me whilst I was recovering from my third knee operation. These biscuits were so good we asked Joyce for the recipe which she kindly gave to us. Gus and I baked them on April fool’s day 2012, and they were finished before they had time to cool.